Ubuntu 12.04.2

My old install of 12.04 wouldn’t take an update for some reason. I took the opportunity to do a bit of cleanup and moved /home to its own partition so I can trash root in the future.

The newer Ubuntu install is easier. The package finder and loader worked pretty well.

Part of my desire to do an update was to get a remote Arduino serial feed available at the Robot Ranch for any number of reasons (temp/humidity/soil moisture/etc.)

So, after the new install, I was hoping for plug-and-go! Alas, it was plug-and-no… 🙁

After a bit of poking around, I found the udev incantation to allow the system to see the board. Strangely, my board reported a different id than what the webpage suggested, so here’s how I did it.

Put your user into the group “dialout” so you can access the device:

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout `whoami`

See what the system thinks of its USB topography:

$ lsusb

You’ll get a bunch of stuff like:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
...
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 045e:0750 Microsoft Corp. Wired Keyboard 600

Plug or unplug your Arudino and to an lsusb again to see what changes:

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 2341:0001  
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
...
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 045e:0750 Microsoft Corp. Wired Keyboard 600

Ooo! We’ve got a ID: 2341:0001 – that’s what we want. The 2341 is the Vendor ID and the 0001 is the Product ID.

Now we have to tell the device loader udev what to do with the device when we plug it in.

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="FT232R USB UART", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2341", SYMLINK+="arduino arduino_$attr{serial}"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="ARDUINO NANO",    ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2341", SYMLINK+="arduino arduino_nano_$attr{serial}"

Put that into a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ if there isn’t something there already. Maybe name the file something like: 10-local.rules

Dunno if I need the NANO, but didn’t seem to hurt working with the UNO. Will update after I try a few different flavors like FTDI Friend, etc.

Reboot, log in, launch Arudino and try to upload and run a sketch. Yea!

 

 

Posted in Arduino, Software, Upgrade | Leave a comment

Less dirt

Posted in Build, Ranch | Leave a comment

Concrete ring

The curbs were poured and cured. The forms were then taken off.

The channel is left for connection of the sewer line from the new commodes.

Posted in Build, Ranch | Leave a comment

Dig the circle

I want a turnabout for cars in the front of the shop to ease access for the tenant in front.

This turnabout will go around the sewer access point and will also serve as a planter box around the flagpole.

Posted in Build, Ranch | Leave a comment

head crash

Need to remember to check max z after heated bed adjustments. And either tweak the Gcode directly, or reslice.

Posted in Break, MakerBot | Leave a comment

Cutting concrete

Code code, I love to code. But, there are other codes that one must adhere to. Permitted and planned. Takes awhile longer perhaps, at more expense, but it increases the utility of the space and hopefully will prevent hassle in the long run.

In order to properly support the walls of the office, we need to put a footing in first. This requires cutting through the floor.

 

 

Posted in Break, Ranch | Leave a comment

Garden friends

 

Posted in Ranch, Vegetables | Leave a comment

Flagpole arrives

The flagpole has arrived. After unwrapping it to make sure it arrived in good shape, it’s been placed above the ground to await installation.

Posted in Acquire, Ranch | Leave a comment

Solar installed

The Robot Ranch is now powered by the sun. Well, not precisely… It’s now generating electricity during the daylight hours, and pumping it into the grid. When it’s night, electricity is sipped back from the grid.

Big pile – Inside wiring

Going up…

Done!

Posted in Acquire, Ranch | Leave a comment

Milford First Prints!

I finally found time and space to give Milford some attention.

I gathered all the parts for Milford (mill, cpu/driver stack, power supply, cords and cables) and rebuilt a Windows PC for controlling it, then I had to get software and upgrades to get it all running. But lo and behold…

Well, there’s something. The text isn’t quite right. It seems to be skipping steps.

A few more attempts – a PCB – sharpie is too thick for that print.

The beginning of this print was messed up with me fiddling with my lousy rubber-band sharpie mount and finding a good z0. But the end was skipped steps due to an overheating driver (I think). I put a fan and heatsinks on the drivers and the problem went away. The “ShapeOko” in pencil was printed after the fan was in place and it came out cleanly.

The picture on the left was before the fan and the picture on the right shows the image without skipped steps after the fan was in place. Quite a difference.

Posted in Build, Mill, Test | 1 Comment